Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Making ends meet in a mad world

So I'm working on my battle plan for how to keep myself, my little one and my mother afloat financially while I am officially an unemployed teacher. It was always going to be a risk leaving my customer service job to try and return to teaching, and I refuse to be daunted by the prospect.

At present I cannot even sign up with an agency until we have Daniel's problems with school lunchtimes ironed out; I may be on call to bring him home at first, though we do have a meeting with special needs support from the local authority early in the term. However when I do I plan to sign up with more than one and possibly a tutoring agency as well as putting in my CV at Daniel's school - I'm a realist, and know that supply work is scarce in the current economy.

I also know that securing a job won't be easy - so many people are in the same boat on the cruel seas of this mad world we live in.

So in the meantime, my plan is this. Do the other thing that was always in my heart: writing. I have several chapters of a book about angels that I started in 2006 and haven't touched in a long time. Exhaustion + stress = writer's block. But this is my time to breathe, and my time to write.

To keep the writing juices flowing, I have this blog and a kick-started account on a consumer review site. To keep the spiritual juices flowing - which, as a channel, is essential to inspiration for my book - I plan to offer angel readings and maybe a correspondence course for seekers. Right now I'm thinking about how. My own website would be hard to promote, whereas using an Facebook group would go against my long-standing fears and frustrations about Facebook. Decisions, decisions: which is the lesser of two evils? That's a rhetorical question, by the way. 

Hopefully my efforts will lead to a little extra income for Christmas - who knows, maybe even enough to sign off benefits. They are after all a battlefield in their own right.

One thing etched deep into my heart is that I must be a good role model for my little one. He faces so many challenges, he has to know his mummy makes a difference in this world, and be inspired by it. He deserves that. I refuse to spend my days watching Jeremy Kyle and letting life pass me by. I may be claiming benefits right now to keep us warm and fed, and unsure when or if I'll get my next teaching job, but to quote Baldrick, I have a cunning plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment