Search This Blog

Sunday 21 August 2011

Why blog? Why now?

Tomorrow is my son's fifth birthday. The last five years have been a rollercoaster and something of a blur. It has seen me change career, then quit my job in a bid to resume my original career. It has seen the end of one relationship and the start of another. It has seen my son diagnosed as having Autism Spectrum Disorder, which made sense of a lot of little things. 

This is the start of a new chapter for me, for us. I'm an at-home mum until I get that dream teaching job and have a rare opportunity to pause, to think and to be. I'm in a wonderful relationship. Daniel, my son, is supported at school now and getting over a lot of his fears and anxieties...and I've come to understand there are more milestones to record than there might have been had he not had ASD. 

I have always had a spiritual calling, and have never quite known what to do with it. I knew I was some kind of earth angel, and know I have touched many lives teaching others about angels, healing and spiritual development. That's where Valkyrie comes in. A valkyrie is, traditionally, a supernatural Norse maiden who led worthy warriors to their eternal Valhalla. For me, it means more than that: it's a dark angel of comfort, quiet inspiration and the ability to lift others to the next level.

And I have come to realise this: that those who need to be lifted will fall into my path, in the shape of friends, in the shape of family, and in the shape of those whose paths intersect with mine at significant moments.

This is the story of my life as mummy, my life as partner, my life as modern woman, and my life as Valkyrie. This is a window into my heart and soul. And may it inspire many others walking similar paths.


One of our earliest pictures together, Daniel aged 4 months



First birthday blues
Getting out and about, aged 2
Castle adventure, aged 3
Fourth birthday, almost a year ago today

1 comment:

  1. I love this, so beautifully written and so full of love you are an inspiration to all of us mommies of children with autism, and I adore all the pics, I can see your love for him

    ReplyDelete