Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Keeping the dream alive

I'm speaking, of course, about the magical fantasy that is on every child's mind at this time of the year - Santa Claus - and what parents have to do to keep that dream alive.

I got my son to write a letter to Santa Claus with me. Well...I wrote, and he dictated. We wrote about what his interests are and how hard he has tried at school this year, and he asked Santa Claus in particular for a big aeroplane, a big rocket, a big monkey, a big helicopter, and an In The Night Garden toy. He posted it in the letter box himself. 


Incidentally, up to now we've always had a reply from Lapland, free of charge - all you have to write on the envelope is "Santa Claus. North Pole." And if you want a response guaranteed, a friend of mine offers a solution for that - Santa's Letter Box.

I went to finish off buying his main presents yesterday - my aunt and I had already obtained a few, fortunately including a big aeroplane and a big rocket. Being out of work at the moment, things are tight and I have had to juggle money left, right and centre. But I know if I don't continue our tradition and deliver what he's asked Santa for, he won't believe any more.

I slogged around various stores trying to get the best deal, and trying to find stores where they had what I wanted in stock. It took me the whole time Daniel was at school yesterday. But I know if I don't deliver, he won't believe in Santa any more.

Why is it so important to me? I always believed in Santa as a child. I still half-believed when I hit the teenage years, and then as an adult, I have reached the conclusion that Santa does indeed exist. As a spirit, an energy, a value, an archetype, and an inspiration. Us parents and carers may do his dirty work, but I do still believe in Christmas miracles. Christmas is a magical time and long may that be so...whatever it takes to keep the dream alive.

If you've never read the beautiful article, "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus", from which I take my cue, make this year the year you do it, and allow yourself to see Christmas through a child's eyes once more. Christmas magic is more important than ever in the chaos of economic crisis we all face today.

No comments:

Post a Comment